[meteor_slideshow slideshow=”adssa” metadata=”height: 126, width: 630″]
* You must cite from each of the readings listed below. You may also use any of the other essays from this chapter, but you may not use any other sources
The way we communicate today has a big effect on how we view the world, other people, and even ourselves. At the forefront of this new way we give and receive information is through technology. Whether it is facebook, twitter, or something as simple as texting or e-mailing, we are using modes of communication that did not exist in previous eras.
This raises a considerable number of questions. Are we better off with these new methods of communication? What do we gain or lose when we substitute communicating face-to-face (or even talking on the phone), with non-verbal modes? Are we gaining a great number of virtual “friends” at the expense of people we would actually interact with in person, or have social networking sites opened up our world for the better, giving us the opportunity to reconnect with old friends and create new relationships as well? ????
Write a five (5) page essay that explores and addresses the world we are living in now in regards to how we relate and communicate with one another given all the different methods at our disposal. How have we currently defined ourselves as a culture, and perhaps more importantly, what will we be like in the future? We are still in the infancy of this new type of communication—where are we headed?
1. Read the introduction to chapter 5, starting on page 445. This will give you a strong foundation for your essay in regards to what you may want to focus on.?
2. Review your homework assignments. This is where you will get your support material for your essay. You must cite from each of the readings listed below. You may also use any of the other essays from this chapter, but you may not use any other sources.??
3. Create a strong thesis statement that clearly states your purpose and point of view regarding the subject. Do not “announce” your thesis statement, i.e., “In this essay, I will show that…” Stay in third person POV.?
4. Give your essay an original and interesting title that will encourage your reader to learn more about what you have to say about your subject.?
5. Craft a conclusion that looks towards the future. This is a topic that is still developing. Given where we are now, offer a glimpse to your reader as to where we might be going in regards to human communication and interaction in a wireless world.
6. Write this essay in the third person POV.
7. Incorporate All of the following required source material:
“Convergence Culture” p. 455??
“Implications of User Choice: The Cultural Logic of MySpace or Facebook?” p. 475??
“It’s All About Us” p. 469??
“Enough About You” p. 472?
[meteor_slideshow slideshow=”best” metadata=”height: 126, width: 630″]