What would you do with 140 A380s in current views on fate of this program?
Emirates had increased it order book of A380 superjumbos to 140 Aircraft during the Nov 2013 Dubai airshow when many analysts were already talking about existing fleet ongoing challenges in terms of global network operations and overall life cycle costs.
This had imposed a big challenge onto Emirates Management to start planning about effective deployment of those aircraft to its network and wherever possible the potential profitable routes.
An article produced by The Royal Bank of Scotland will be provided to you that will aid your research into this research. Keeping view of the aforementioned, you are required to address the following questions:
1. What factors account for the success of Dubai’s aviation sector in terms of the product of strategic decisions that the government of Dubai and the aviation sector have taken in the past and as influenced by external and internal environment (strengths and opportunities)? This will be done in class as group discussion which will yield preliminary outcomes that students can use in their individual reports.
2. Is the prime airline segment an attractive place to compete?
Using the information presented in class and other relevant sources use Michael Porter’s five forces model to analyze the competitive environment for Emirates and similarly the scale of the threat from other Gulf airlines, to the rest of the world. The analysis should consist of five parts ( five forces), which should cover (a) threat of entry, (b) power of suppliers, (c) power of buyers, (d) threats of substitutes, (e) competitive rivalry. At the end of each part, a conclusion should be provided. Students are expected to draw the final conclusion to explain why Emirates will most likely survive and serve those planned markets.
3. In the middle of those threats and continued lobbying pressures by European and United States Carriers, how can Emirates continue to survive and deliver a value and prime service to its customers?
Students should be able to identify various aspects about how Emirates can add value. Then explain how European airlines threatened by Emirates will keep up the pressure against Emirates in view of international laws and policies.
What are European Network carriers’ current and future strategies?
On the other hand, within North America continent, U.S & Canada are also trying to hinder Emirates progress within their region, what you believe that Emirates must do to ease those pressures and survive this turmoil?
4. Review the fleet and network growth plans available in other relevant sources. Then discuss how Emirates would develop a sound strategy to operate those 140 A380s by the year 2024 and achieve the planned profits whilst sustaining its competitive advantage?
Length: 3000 words.
Due time for hand-in:19 May 2015
2. This report is designed to demonstrate and assess a number of module learning outcomes, particularly those related to the analysis and application of information of strategic management and implementation.
While writing the assignment, references to literature, course handouts and points of theory and principles may add support to the analysis, though they should be relevant, appropriate and properly cited, and certainly not made in isolation from case issues.
Where you feel further Strategy information or other data would be required, state these requirements and briefly relate how the information might be obtained. Specify any assumptions that you make.