Paper , Order, or Assignment Requirements
Debate the efficacies of public versus private-based quality initiatives. What roles do each play in the quality of U.S. health care? How would the elimination of one aspect affect the other? Respond to two other classmates and counter their answer, citing references as appropriate.
- After reading the Kaiser Family Foundation summary on the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, state why or why not you believe the act should remain in law, or which pieces should be reversed. Then describe two pieces of the act that you were unaware was part of the act and how that may affect you as a citizen
- What are the eligibility requirements and coverage of Medicaid for the categories of low-income adults, pregnant women, and the aging/blind/disabled in the state where you live? Do you consider the eligibility requirements reasonable or restrictive? Do you consider the coverage reasonable or liberal? What are the benefits and drawbacks to keeping these populations insured through Medicaid? Consider both direct and indirect factors.
- Review the CMS.gov 30-Day Mortality and Readmission Data website. Review at least two local hospitals and see how they compare to state and national benchmarks. How and why may a consumer or a health care professional use this data to make decision about their next hospitalization? Will reporting this data have an impact on hospitals bottom line in addition to financial penalties from CMS? Give at least two examples of how this data may be used and what type of impact if may have if at all on the hospitals.
- Debate the question: “Is health care a basic right in the United States?” Answer this question through the lens of your role as RN. Support your response utilizing ethical theories and principles. Respond to two other classmates using respectful communication and solid reasoning. Support your response with appropriate references.
- Select an ethical dilemma related to health policy from the categories of moral values, professional regulation, health of individuals in society, or distributive justice. What are the controversies surrounding this issue? What are the opposing ethical principles? How has past or current health policy addressed this dilemma? Support your reasoning with reference citations.
- How do spiritual beliefs impact political ideologies and the policy process? How have they affected the health policy reform process? Using respectful communication, debate your response with two other classmates. Give examples and support your reasoning with appropriate references.
- What is the role of a religious ethic in public policy today? Should a religious ethic or theistic worldview take priority over that of others? How can religious policy decision makers remain true to their personal values while respecting the views of individuals with differing cultural and spiritual beliefs? Respond to two other classmates and cite references as appropriate.
- Select an advanced professional or advanced practice nursing specialty. How has past and current regulation/legislation affected the role and scope of this nursing role? What, if any, discussions are currently underway relative to the scope and role of this specialty? What resources are available to assist nurses in advocating for these roles?
- Select a professional or specialty nursing association. What impact has this organization had on health care legislation in the past 2 years? Respond to two other classmates and support your answer with appropriate references and specific examples.