Unit 4 Lab Assignment
Data Collection & Unit Conversions
To complete this lab you must first collect data by interviewing friends, family, coworkers, neighbors, etc. You can conduct these interviews via personal visit, phone call, social media, however you choose.
Ask your subjects the following questions:
- What is your height?
- Approximately how much do you weigh? If you prefer not to give your weight, how much does your bag (purse, back pack, lunch bag, etc.) weigh?
- What is the furthest you have ever traveled from your home (in distance)? (This can be approximated using an online mapping service e.g. Google Maps™, MapQuest™)
IMPORTANT NOTE! Be sure to ask and then record the units of measurement your subject reports for each answer.
Next you must convert this data into different forms of measurement:
- Height in inches and centimeters
- Weight in kilograms and pounds
- Distance in miles, yards, and meters
Be sure to show your work and the equations used in making these conversions. Note that not only will partial credit be given for answers given without formulas used, but partial credit will be given for any incorrect answers where the correct formula was applied.
Report your collected data and conversions in the table on the following page.
After completing the computation work, answer the following examination question:
Why is it important to follow a standard system of measurement? Provide an explanation of a scenario where standardized measurement is necessary for a successful exchange or activity.
|Data||Height in inches||Height in centimeters||Weight in kilograms||Weight in pounds||Distance in miles||Distance in yards||Distance in meters|
Show your work here: