[meteor_slideshow slideshow=”adssa” metadata=”height: 126, width: 630″]
The purpose of this project is to have you compare the reasoning styles of young children as they perform on Piagetian conservation tasks. You will observe the children that appear in the video hyperlinked below, and produce a report with sections similar to those found in APA publications
IMPORTANT: You will be observing TWO different youngsters perform on the conservation of volume task. You will then see a third youngster perform on TWO different conservation-of-number tasks.
On the report, you will describe TWO different conservation of number tasks performed with the same child. You will also describe the conservation of volume task performed with two different children.
The sections in the report are listed below. Please carefully read the information that is required in each section.
1. Purpose. What was the purpose of this project?
2. Subjects. Describe the 3 children that appear in the videos in term of their gender, and approximate age. Also, describe children’s interest level. (In other words, did the children appear engaged in the activity or disinterested?)
3. Procedures. Describe the procedures used to test the children. You will describe two (2) tasks used to test conservation of number and one task used to test conservation of liquid.
Provide specific details when describing the procedures. Describe specific materials and quote the questions that were asked. Mention the specific questions you hear in the video. Place these questions in quotation marks. Do not forget the “Why” question; it is very important in Piagetian methodology.
4. Results. State whether or not each child was able to conserve and explain what conservation means in this context. Describe the children’s specific answers when they observed the transformations contained within each task. Place the children’s answers in quotation marks.
5. 5. Interpretation. How would Piaget have interpreted these results? How did Piaget describe the limitations of preoperational thinking and the characteristics of concrete operational thinking? You need to state and explain at least five relevant terms mentioned in the course notes. (See the slides entitled Mental Characteristics Described by Piaget.)
When explaining the terms, distinguish between the preoperational and concrete operational stages.
This will be the longest part of your report. For this section, pretend that your professor knows nothing about Piaget. Explain Piagetian tenets and terms when describing the Piagetian interpretation of the results.
6. Discussion. Critique Piaget’s interpretation. See the evaluation of Piaget’s theory in your textbook. Provide an adequate amount of information in this section. Do not mention critiques related to the sensorimotor stage here.
[meteor_slideshow slideshow=”best” metadata=”height: 126, width: 630″]