[meteor_slideshow slideshow=”adssa” metadata=”height: 126, width: 630″]
Define a practice problem appropriate for an EBP approach.
Evaluate and synthesize evidence to answer your practice question.
Guidelines – Overview
• Define a practice problem (within the scope of practice of a registered nurse) and formulate a searchable, answerable question using PICO(T) format.
• Search appropriate health care databases and other sources for valid and reliable evidence.
• Document search of evidence (screenshots).
• Evaluate findings using the rapid critical appraisal method.
• Summarize implications for change.
• Write a scholarly paper using APA Style® format to present your findings.
I sometimes work in orthopedics, and in doing so have noticed an increase in both PCA pump and conventional PRN pain medication use post-operatively. I have also noticed that these patients often disregard the use of incentive spiromery. I sometimes wonder if pain is being well managed, why spirometer use remains low and how this may affect patient outcomes.
In hospitalized post-operative adult patients (P) how does incentive spiromery use (I) compared to non-use (C) influence the likelihood of atelectasis (O) during inpatient recovery (T)?
Melnyk, B. M., &Fineout-Overholt, E. (2011). Evidence-based practice in nursing & healthcare. Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
It is an intervention question, so you will need to find RCTs or systematic reviews that answer your question. Good luck with your searches!
[meteor_slideshow slideshow=”best” metadata=”height: 126, width: 630″]