The title of your Part A essay must range over NO MORE THAN 20 YEARS and must focus on the
SIGNIFICANCE of your chosen person or event i.e. the influence it/they had on the progress of civil rights in
THE SHORT TERM
· Possible question stems:
o What was the short-term significance of…?
o What was the short-term impact of…?
o Assess the impact of…
o How important were the consequences of…?
The following coursework should have this type of structure:
– Introduction: A brief summary of the implication of African Americans in the Vietnam War, and how this this triggered the civil rights movement;
1) Paragraph should focus on the political aspect of the Civil rights movement in connection to African Americans, during the Vietnam War: Lyndon B. Johnson and the Great Society “The greatest leader of our time has been struck down by the foulest deed of our time. Today John Fitzgerald Kennedy lives on in the immortal words and works that he left behind. He lives on in the mind and memories of mankind. He lives on in the hearts of his countrymen.
No words are sad enough to express our sense of loss. No words are strong enough to express our determination to continue the forward thrust of America that he began.
The dream of conquering the vastness of space–the dream of partnership across the Atlantic–and across the Pacific as well–the dream of a Peace Corps in less developed nations–the dream of education for all of our children–the dream of jobs for all who seek them and need them–the dream of care for our elderly–the dream of an all-out attack on mental illness–and above all, the dream of equal rights for all Americans, whatever their race or colour–these and other American dreams have been vitalized by his drive and by his dedication.
And now the ideas and the ideals which he so nobly represented must and will be translated into effective action.”
Election of Nixon and how this effected Civil Rights Movement.
2) Second paragraph should focus on anti-war and military impact of African Americans.
The rejection of going to war of Muhammad Ali “Why should they ask me to put on a uniform and go ten thousand miles from home and drop bombs and bullets on brown people in Vietnam while so-called Negro people in Louisville are treated like dogs and denied simple human rights? No, I am not going ten thousand miles from home to help murder and burn another poor nation simply to continue the domination of white slavemasters of the darker people the world over. This is the day when such evils must come to an end…I have nothing to lose by standing up for my beliefs. So I’ll go to jail. We’ve been in jail for four hundred years.
Muhammad Ali, 28 April, 196” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeFMyrWlZ68
3) The third paragraph can be based on economy in relation to Civil Rights.
This are the primary sources that must be used for the basic arguments:
4) https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=364×536530 Selected Quotes from “Bloods: An Oral History of Vietnam by Black Veterans”
Another three to five secondary sources must be used.
The three paragraphs must cover 5 relevant issues in relation to the impact of Vietnam War on Civil Rights Movement.