The Fall of the House of Usher
Create and write an essay or paper about any combination of the following questions about Edgar Allan Poeâ€™s â€œThe Fall of the House of Usher.â€ Â You may write about one, two, or all of the questions. The choice is yours .Your work should be about 4-5 double-spaced pages in length. You should quote freely from the story and use any outside resources (if you wish) to prove your thesis.
- How does Poe use setting as a Gothic element in “The Fall of the House of Usher”?
- How do the physical descriptions of the house’s exterior relate to the charactersâ€™ states of mind? Â to Roderick? to Madeline? To the Usher family?
- How does Poe portray family in â€œThe Fall of the House of Usherâ€?
- In Edgar Allan Poe’s â€œThe Fall of the House of Ushers,â€Â can you recall any forms of stereotypically female characteristics that are attributed to Roderick and why Poe does this?
- How can we describe Edgar Allan Poe’s â€œThe Fall of the House of Usherâ€Â as radiant and funereal at the same time?
- Describe the way in which Poe develops a sense of horror and fear in the tale.