1. Describe briefly the background information (strategic context) of the firm. This information should be brief and relevant to the discussion of your assignment and thus may include ownership, history, size, business scope, major products/services, and major markets of the firm selected.
2. Conduct a macro-environment analysis for the entire industry within which the firm operates. You should use the analytical framework provided in the textbook. In drawing conclusion from your analysis, focus on the identification of key trends and their implications in terms of opportunities and threats facing both the industry and the chosen firm.
3. Undertake an industry or competitive analysis using Porter’s 5 forces model. You are also required to pay particular attention to the inter-connectedness of different aspects of the competitive forces, the links between the competitive forces and macro-environment and their overall impact on the industry. What are the implications of your findings for the chosen firm?
4. Identify those resources and competences of the firm that are likely to provide sustainable competitive advantage. Justify why these resources and competences can be regarded as strategic capabilities using the four criteria covered in the textbook (VRIN).
5. Identify and discuss the generic type of business strategy the firm is currently implementing by examining its strategy statement and/or its value chain activities.