For our assignment this week, we will test the claim that men with profiles on Match.com are shorter than the average height for all men in the United States.
A sample of 71 males was chosen by recording the heights of every 18th male between the ages of 30 and 50 within 5 miles of my zipcode. The heights are included in the attached excel spreadsheet.
Description: Using this information, answer the questions below to conduct a hypothesis test to determine whether men with profiles on Match.com are shorter than the average height of all males in the United States.
1. What type of sampling was used here?
2. What are the mean and standared deviation of the sample?
3. Research to find the average height of all men in the United States. This will be our population parameter. You can use the average from the week 3 discussion question.
4. Write the hypotheses H0 and Ha to test that men on match.com are shorter than the average height for all males.
5. We will use a z-test for our hypothesis. Why do we use this type of test?
6. Show calculations for the test statistic.
7. What would be the p-value?
8. Choose an alpha,α, value. Why did you choose this value?
9. Will we reject or not reject the null hypothesis?
10. What are your conclusions? Are men on Match.com statistically shorter than the average male?