Articles needed for Student Reading Report 1
CIS 102W, Web Design for Non-Profits, Prof. Taylor
The following articles and poems have been copied from “From Education for Democracy”, by Barber & Battistoni, Kendall/Hunt Publishing Company. Select 3 of the following articles, speeches and poems to write your reading report. Your approach can be to write a critique, agree or disagree with the author, or make a comparison to your own community service experiences or to other articles/books you have read. I recommend reading them all at some point, whether you are writing about the topic or not.
Format: The reading report should consist of 2-3 pages, single-spaced, one inch margins, and one space between paragraphs. If you cite other sources, add a bibliography page.
- I Hear America Singing, Whitman – pg 1
- Community, Citizenship & Service – pgs 181-183
- A Call of Service, Coles – pgs 184-191
- Words to Love By, Mother Teresa – pg 192
- National Service, Clinton – pgs 205-207
- Here Comes National Service, Til – 208-210
- Educating for Service, Hesburgh – pgs 215-217
- Moving In From the Margins, Wutzdorff – pgs 218-220
- A Mandate for Liberty, Barber –pgs 221-223
- What is Wrong with this Picture?, Chi – pgs 227-229
- Community Service and the Transformation of the American University, Harkavy – pgs 236-238
- Song of the Insufficiency of Human Endeavor, Brecht – pg 239
- Why “Servanthood” is Bad, McKnight – pgs 459-464
- Politics & National Service: A Virus Attacks the Volunteer Sector, Chapman – pgs 465-470
- “Untitled”, Akhmatova – pg 472
- Community Service: A New Requirement for the EducatedPerson, Bloustein – pgs 489-493
- Address on National Service, March 1, 1993, Clinton – pgs 495-500
- Special Message to Congress on the Peace Corps, March 1, 1961, Kennedy – pgs 677-679
Your 2-3 sources may include The Call of Service: A Witness to Idealism by Robert Coles, or you should find your own resources relating to community service on both the local and global level. One of your sources must be the New York Times.
Your approach can be to write a critique, agree or disagree with the author, or make a comparison to your own community service experiences or to other articles/books you have read.
Format: The reading report should consist of 2-3 pages, single-spaced, one inch margins, and one space between paragraphs, with a separate bibliography page.