The Riverbend City: Principles of Cultural Competence media presentation demonstrates the complexities and challenges associated with cultural competence, exposure to diversity, and sensitivity in health care. After you have completed the media piece, consider the following:
- How might you have responded in a similar situation?
- Did the actions the nursing staff took seem reasonable to you?
- If the staff had been familiar with the practice of “coining,” do you think they might have reacted differently?
- Envision a scenario in which the nursing staff had been culturally sensitive. How would the experience have been different for both the nursing staff and the Vang family?
Support this part of your discussion with references to the professional literature.
Your initial posting should be at least 150 words, and you must reference the work of another writer (either as a quotation, paraphrase, or summary) to provide support for your ideas. The source can be the course text, another relevant book, any assigned reading, or an article you find on your own through the Capella University Library. When you incorporate the other writer’s ideas in your work, use APA citation style to give credit to that writer. Remember that an APA citation includes both the in-text citation (the author’s last name and the year of publication) and the full reference for the source.
Review the posts of your fellow learners and respond to at least one. Your response post should be at least 75 words. In your response, you must do one or a combination of the following:
- Ask a probing question.
- Offer a suggestion.
- Elaborate on a particular point.
- Provide an alternative opinion supported with scholarly references