The course project asks you to identify a local environmental or occupational health concern and prepare a policy paper recommending specific action. You will research the literature addressing the concern at a broad level and you will identify the appropriate local agency to which you would deliver your policy paper.
Components of the project include a short written description of your topic, a longer, more detailed proposal for the policy paper, a draft of the policy paper, and the finished policy paper.
To successfully complete this project, you will be expected to:
- Identify and describe a specific environmental or occupational health hazard.
- Discuss the source(s) of the identified hazard.
- Describe and analyze the political and socio-economic factors that influence policy and actions toward the identified hazard.
- Analyze and describe the regulatory framework that applies to the identified hazard.
- Apply the concepts of risk assessment, epidemiology, and industrial hygiene by recommending realistic and appropriate measures to be taken to remediate the identified hazard.
Policy Paper Guidelines:
- Length should be 20-25 pages prepared according to APA guidelines.
- Cover sheet.
- Table of contents.
- Executive summary or abstract.
- Introduction: identify the problem and provide overview of paper’s focus.
- Background: could include a literature review.
- Context: explains relevant details and addresses regulatory framework.
- Possible solutions: it is common to review possible approaches to remediation before discussing the recommendation you are making.
- Recommended policy action.