Your Portfolio Project for this class is a community action plan designed to alleviate or correct a public-health issue in your community. Your community can be your business, school, neighborhood, town or city of residence or birth, or county.
For Option 1, your community action plan will be a professional portfolio that includes a written report and a slide presentation.
Below are some useful sites where you can find examples of the elements of an action plan.
You will incorporate into this final plan any classmates’ critiques that you found useful as well as your instructor’s feedback.
- The written report should include:
- The final case study, with four sections (Symptoms, Diagnosis, Cure, and Prevention). Each section should be about a page in length. Your entire paper must be 4-5 pages in length not counting the title or reference pages, which you must include.
- You must back up your sections using at least two scholarly articles. You may use readings other than the textbook to meet this requirement.
- The key community members or partners that you plan on contacting, with an explanation why these individuals or organizations make sense as potential partners.
- A special emphasis on either the demographics of the affected population or the economic implications.
- A realistic timeline for your plan. Discuss the time needed for campaigning, education, funding, building, and implementation.
- The slide presentation describes the problem in your community and your action plan.
- Your presentation must be 8-10 slides in length, not counting the title and reference slides.
- You may use a Web-based slide presentation software such as Prezi, for example, or you may use PowerPoint. If you use a Web-based tool, include the URL to your presentation in a Word document and upload it with your presentation.
- The audience for this presentation will be community members or organizations you wish to educate about the public-health issue and your proposed plan. The purpose of this slide presentation is to educate the audience about the issue. Keep in mind that in real life you will have limited time to convince people of the gravity of the situation and to come on board with their support, so you want to be persuasive and get to the key points quickly and effectively.
Format APA style