Week 4 Assignment Worksheet
Complete the following table.
|Theorists||Main tenets of theory||Unique contributions||Limitations|
|Freud||Stressed the importance of early childhood events, the influence of the unconscious and sexual instincts in the development and formation of personality.
|Jung||Focused on concepts such as the collective unconscious, archetypes and psychological types.
|Adler||Believed the core motive behind personality involves striving for superiority, or the desire to overcome challenges and move closer toward self-realization. This desire to achieve superiority stems from underlying feelings of inferiority that Adler believed were universal.
|Horney||Focused on the need to overcome basic anxiety, the sense of being isolated and alone in the world. She emphasized the societal and cultural factors that also play a role in personality, including the importance of the parent-child relationship.
Match the example with the appropriate defense mechanism.
- __H___A woman is involved in a car accident that left her paralyzed from the waist down, but she cannot remember any details of the accident.
- __G___Taking a test makes me nervous, so I bite my nails.
- _A__My boss yelled at me at work today and it made me very upset. I went home and ended up yelling at my spouse that night.
- __B_Even though I drink alcohol every day, I am not an alcoholic.
- __E_I hate Alex, but I am overly nice and friendly when interacting with him at work.
- __F_I broke up with my boyfriend, but I am fine with it because he was a loser anyway.
- __C_I am convinced that my husband is cheating on me, even though I am the one who frequently thinks about cheating on him.
- _D__I am very frustrated at work and just want to scream, but instead I go to the gym and work out my frustration on the treadmill.
- Reaction Formation
Psychosexual Stages of Development
Fill in the appropriate psychosexual stage for the following descriptions.
- The ______ stage focuses on mature sexual relationships.
- A 3rd grader still sucks their thumb. They may have a(n) ___Oral Stage__ fixation.
- An adult who exhibits a lack of self-discipline and messiness may have struggled with toilet training. This person may have experienced difficulty in the ________ stage.
- A child tends to prefer the parent of the opposite sex and views the same-sex parent as a threat. This conflict occurs in the _______ stage
- Children tend to focus on peer relationships with same-sex friends and other nonsexual activities. This behavior occurs in the _______ stage.
Stress and Coping
Consider the following scenario:
You have unexpectedly lost your job due to layoffs at your company. You are the sole provider of income for your family. You are worried about how you will pay your bills and support your family during this time.
Write 150 to 200 words describing how stress can affect you physically and mentally, and which coping strategies you may use to work through this situation.