Please see attachment paper-related to the book; the Emotional Life of your Brain, Author is RJ DAVIDSON.
Assignment 4: Leadership of a Psychoeducational Group Session:
(First draft of proposal due 10/13, final draft due 10/28.)
Health professionals are often called upon to develop and lead psychoeducational groups
for their clients, community members or other health professionals. Therefore, it is
important for students pursuing careers in the health professions to develop basic
competency in leading such groups.
You will pursue a topic of interest, and that will be the basis of your psychoeducational
group protocol. During class #3, you will choose topic in collaboration with your small
group members. Each group member will explore and lead a group on a different topic.
You will lead your group about a topic at the end of the semester. We will discuss
potential topics during class 3.
In order to successfully lead a group, it is necessary to gather your resources, develop a
timeline, and write a plan detailing the presentation. This plan is your group proposal.
Your group protocol should be submitted using the following format and include all the
information requested as per the description below.
- Strategies to engage participants:
- Main points of mini-lecture
- Description of activity
- References (separate page)
Description of sections:
- Introduction: Describe what your topic is and why it is relevant to your potential
group members. Included in this section will be a citation(s) from your literature review
which describes the relevant research you will use to support your topic. An average
introduction is not shorter than ½ page, and no longer than 1 page
- Objectives for your session- Objectives are the goals you are setting for your session.
Think about what your members will know/learn as a result of being in this group. Three
or four objectives are typical; you may have more but be aware that the objectives should
be attainable as the result of this one group that you will lead. It will be easier for you if
you keep your objectives measurable; what will your group members be able to DO as a
result of this activity?
- Strategies- Describe how you plan to engage participants in exploring and learning
about the session’s topic. This should include a brief introductory lecture (identify main
points of your lecture in the group proposal), followed by one or more of the following:
paper and pencil activity, game, or exercise (briefly name/describe any activity, game or
exercise you will be using- e.g.: rock painting activity).
- Preparation- Describe what you will do to prepare for the session (i.e. make handouts,
obtain materials, ensure adequate set-up, etc.).
- Procedure: You can use the Nina Brown text or Jacobs text for help with this section.
Significant time and preparation should be spent on writing this section. This lays out the
lan for your session. Your procedure section is to include an estimated time-frame for
each part of the session. In the procedure section, include the following:
- a) Tell me what you will say to how you will introduce the session; what will you say as
you begin your group?
- b) Tell me what you will say when you introduce an activity or exercise.
- c) Tell me what you will have the group members do.
- d) Describe the activity in detail, and what you will do to organize the activity, and keep
your group members engaged throughout the activity. (C and d can be combined, but you
need to detail both the activity, and process).
- e) Provide a description of how you will process the group activity with your members.
Develop and write 4-5 questions that you can ask which will help you to learn how your
members have benefitted from the activity.
Processing: Provide sample questions that you may tentatively use to facilitate
discussion during the last ten minutes of your group. Consider questions that focus on
what the group members will have just experienced within your group, how their group
experience might relate to their everyday life, and how the group members may consider
using what they learned in the future.
YOU CAN ALSO PLACE OTHER SIMILAR ORDERS ON OUR WEBSITE AND GET AMAZING DISCOUNTS!!!