Project:Genome of the crown of thorns starfish (Acanthaster planci). Outbreaks of this species of starfish are a major environmental issue of Australia’s great barrier reef and causes major coral loses. A recent 27 –years reef monitoring study of the great barrier reef estimated that the starfish accounts for 42% of the loss in coral cover,2nd only to typhoons.
-sequence the genome of the crown of the thorns starfish and investigated the genes that starfish uses to attack coral communities.
– the article use for this topic: Genomic organization of Hox and ParaHox clusters in the echinoderm, Acanthaster planci
Kenneth W. Baughman1,*, Carmel McDougall2, Scott F. Cummins3, Mike Hall4, Bernard M. Degnan2, Nori Satoh1 andEiichi Shoguchi1
Article first published online: 28 NOV 2014
. – The requirement of this proposal( maximum 2000 words, including references, figures, tables and legends, if appropriate)
-In addition, the requirement of this proposal, the essay proposal should cover all these questions :
1- How will the project benefit the scientific community/population?
2- What do you want to find out about the genome/population?
3- What strains/cultivar/population will you sequence?
4- What’s the size of the genome?
5- Given size, complexity and heterozygosity of the genome, what sequencing technology (or combination)is the most appropriate for the project?
6- What time (or combination)of sequencing types should be used?Transciptome,whole genome shotgun?
7- What depth of coverage is needed?
8- How many samples will need and how would you sample them?
9- What programs/strategies will be needed for assembly?
10- What programs/strategies will be needed for genome annotation?
11- What programs/strategies will be needed for variant analysis?
12- Given research into the research area,what do you expect the genome to show ?
• The following heading should be used:
1- proposal summary
3- Materials and methods
In the introduction :
– About the crown of thorns starfish (Acanthaster planci)
– Outbreaks of this species of starfish are a major environmental issue for Australia’s great barrier reef and causes major coral to lose.
– I provided example but not that perfect , :
– I would follow this example in the sequencing and annotation, sections. Because just that way we studied.
– In sequencing, should cover, what sequencing and why using this.