ASK: You work at a Japanese Medieval newspaper and have been asked to create a page from the Real Estate section.
Part 1. Castle Advertisement.
The owner of a Japanese Medieval castle has asked you to help him sell his castle by creating an advertisement that showcases his property. He wants you to be VERY CLEAR about the features and advantages of his castle, including its role as a form of Military defence. You can choose a real castle if you like (e.g. Himeji Castle).
1. Research Japanese castles and their architecture. You will need to find out the following:
a. The layout of the castle complex.
b. The buildings in the complex.
c. The style of architecture.
d. The rooms within the castle.
e. Materials used.
f. Defensive features.
- Look at examples of real estate advertisements (ie; Sydney Morning Herald or Domain.com.au).
* Create an advertisement on your computer that showcases the above points.
* Include Images of the castle and the main features you’re highlighting. (NB: I will create these images myself once I receive your information).
PART 2. – Newspaper Article.
You have been asked to write an article comparing Japanese castles to the ones built in Medieval Europe.
Specifically, you’re to examine their FUNCTIONALITY (did hey do what they were supposed to do ? ) AND AESTHETICS (what the design was, visually).
Finally, YOU HAVE TO EXPLAIN WHICH ONE YOU THINK WAS SUPERIOR, and why you think so.
1. Make a list of the features of Japanese castles and European castles under the headings “FUNCTIONALITY” and “AESTHETICS”.
2. Decide on which one you think is superior, and make notes on why.
* Write a very BRIEF introduction, outlining what castles were for (in general), and highlighting some differences between Japanese and European styles.
* Write 2 main paragraphs: i) compare Functionality ii) Compare aesthetics.
* Write a SUBSTANTIAL CONCLUSION, providing an overall judgement on which castle was better, and why.