[meteor_slideshow slideshow=”adssa” metadata=”height: 126, width: 630″]
This coursework is designed to illustrate the practical aspects of portfolio optimisation and the performance measurement. This exercise involves the following tasks.
1. By doing the optimisation using Excel Solver, you are required to construct a mean variance efficient portfolio frontier for any 10 randomly selected ordinary shares listed on a stock market. For all your calculations, you should use the 60 monthly returns, sample means, standard deviations, and covariance and correlation matrices. Plot the portfolio frontier and comment on the weights of the portfolios along the portfolio frontier including in your discussion the correlations among the 10 shares.
2. By Identifying and combining a riskless asset with the 10 shares, plot the portfolio frontier and select the tangent portfolio on the portfolio frontier. Provide the rationale for your choice of the riskless asset.
3. Assume that the short selling is not allowed, how your efficient frontiers would differ from those with short selling allowed in questions 1 and 2 above.
4. Identify the appropriate benchmark index and critically evaluate the performance of the tangent portfolio selected above using various risk-adjusted portfolio performance measurement indices. Justify your choice of the benchmark index.
5. Comment on the limitation of your analysis and critically evaluate the gains in the performance of the identified portfolio along with the associated risks from international diversification, particularly investment in the shares listed on emerging stock markets.
[meteor_slideshow slideshow=”best” metadata=”height: 126, width: 630″]