COM 340 Grading Rubric
Assignment: Planning Proposal
In this class, you will be asked to prepare a final written document in which you apply the knowledge you have gained in
this course. The document you prepare will be a proposal addressed to Ashford University that recommends ways the
university can improve its services to students. NOTE: This proposal is assigned for educational purposes only. It
will not be shared with university administration or anyone else outside this class, without your written
This paper should be an objective evaluation of a situation or a problem you or someone you know has experienced here
at the university or a suggestion for a change to a university process or a procedure that could improve a service the
university provides to its students. You will be required to do some research to complete this paper. You should also
incorporate the persuasive techniques you studied in this course.
An outline of this proposal is due in Week Three, and the proposal itself is due in Week Five. Your proposal must be
properly formatted in APA style and must be 4 to 5 pages in length (2 to 3 pages of text plus a title page and a reference
Following are the specific requirements for this assignment:
1. This assignment should be a planning proposal, as defined in our text. The purpose of the proposal is to provide a
solution to a problem or suggestions for improvement of a situation.
2. Assume that the audience for this proposal will be Ashford University administration.
3. Your proposal should fulfill the basic persuasive tasks outlined in Chapter 21 of the text.
4. Your proposal should employ the persuasive techniques discussed in Chapter 4 of the text.
5. Your proposal should have a clear introduction, body, and conclusion that are appropriately labeled with these
6. Your proposal should have a properly formatted APA title page. (You do not need a Table of Contents.)
7. Your proposal should have a properly formatted APA reference page with at least two reputable sources that
support the problem or your suggestion/recommendation.
Planning Proposal for Improving Ashford Student Services
20 points possible
Content Criteria Weight
Proposal proposes a solution to a problem or suggests improvement of a situation at Ashford
Proposal is professionally prepared and appropriate for the intended audience.
Proposal spells out the problem and its causes clearly and convincingly.
Proposal points out the benefits of solving the problem.
Proposal offers a realistic, cost-effective solution.
Proposal addresses anticipated objections to the proposed solution.
Proposal is persuasive and induces the audience to act by making a clear request for action and
informing reader how to take that action.
Document is professionally prepared and is representative of effective technical writing.
Document has been spell checked and grammar checked.
Proposal includes at least two reputable outside research sources. 2
Document is 4 – 5 pages in length and is properly formatted in APA style.
Sources are appropriately cited in the text and in a properly formatted APA reference page.
Proposal introduction, body, and conclusion are labeled with headings created in proper APA