My Leadership SMART Goal
Review the Institute of Medicine’s (IOM) core healthcare competencies. Select ONE of the competencies that you will work on for developing a Leadership SMART Goal. You are to select one of the following competencies for YOUR SMART goal.
Managing Patient-Centered Care or
Working in interdisciplinary and/or interprofessional teams;
1. Create ONE leadership goal that is in the SMART goal format. You practiced this in the Week 3 Discussion, and received valuable feedback from your instructor and peers. Please refer to this as you work on the assignment.
S – Specific (Who besides YOU is involved in the goal, what is YOUR goal, where will it take place?)
M – Measurable (How are YOU going to achieve the goal?) Be specific with measureable outcomes.
A – Attainable (What resources and/or experts are available to assist YOU with attaining YOUR goal?)
R – Realistic (Is YOUR goal something that is realistically obtainable in YOUR professional practice?) Be specific.
T – Time bound (What specific dates or weeks will YOU accomplish each task related to your leadership goal?)
• Example NOT in SMART format: I will learn how to be a manager. This goal is lofty, not measurable, and unattainable in the time allotted, probably not realistic, and not time bound.
• Example in SMART Format: I will learn the disciplinary process of an employee who has excessive absences, by locating the organization’s attendance policy and meeting with the unit manager, reviewing peer-reviewed articles and credible websites to obtain information on the disciplinary process by Week 4 (or specified date).
Note: This particular example relates to Core Competency: Managing Patient-Centered Care.
This example is a SMART goal that is Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, and Time-bound.
o Who- Your name, or “I” Indicate others who may be involved.
o What- Learn the disciplinary process of employees who have excessive absences
o Where- Your organization
o How: Through locating the organization’s attendance policy and passing a quiz on the content of the policy.
o Resources and/or Expert: Meeting with the unit manager, reviewing peer-reviewed articles, and credible websites
o Realistically obtainable: Access to the organization, policies, and unit manager. Various resources are available.
o Specific dates: By Week 4 (or specific date)
2. Go to the Chamberlain library (http://library.chamberlain.edu) and search the databases (under Menu tab) to locate scholarly articles related to your SMART goal. Also, search for credible websites to gain insight into how to accomplish your goal.
3. Construct a plan of action to reach My Leadership SMART goal. Be specific by creating a timeline of when you plan on doing each action; explain how, when, and where you plan to communicate with an expert; and identify specific resources you will use to help you achieve your goal.
a. Example Plan of Action for above mentioned example:
o Seek approval to review the organization’s policies and schedule a meeting/interview with the unit manager by _____ (fill in date).
o Review the policies on disciplinary action by _____ (fill in date).
o Review the American Nurses Association website and peer-reviewed articles in the American Journal of Nursing and Journal of Advanced Nursing by _____ (fill in date).
o Evaluate the findings from the above resources by _____ (fill in date). Pass the quiz.
4. Write a scholarly paper that follows APA formatting guidelines. Organize your content logically and express your thoughts clearly. Use appropriate headers to separate sections of your paper. Check for any grammar or spelling errors before submission.
5. Submit your completed NR 447 My Leadership SMART Goal paper, which should be approximately six pages (excluding title page and references) to the Week 4 My Leadership SMART Goal Paper Dropbox by Sunday, 11:59 p.m. MT at the end of Week 4.
(THIS WAS MY SMART GOAL FOR
In my hospital everyone focuses on ways to improve patient safety and preventing falls. Recently we’ve had a few falls on our telemetry floor. It turns out that majority of the patients fell because they were getting up by themselves to use the restroom. At my work we do hourly rounding, this is another reason why hourly rounding is so important. It is important for our patient to know we are there to help them when needed.
S- I will develop a communication tool that nurses and CNAs can use with patients during hourly rounding that will increase patient safety.
M- I will measure the effectiveness of this goal by communicating with my co-workers and managers about the usefulness of this tool by asking for verbal and written feedback.
A- I will use the Chamberlain Library and other credible websites as resources to assist me in attaining my goal.
R- I believe that this goal is attainable and it will be a valuable tool that will help increase patient safety and satisfaction.
T- I will develop a communication tool that will be used during hourly rounding by the beginning of next month.
develop a communication tool that will help nurses and CNAs during hourly rounding of our patients which will improve patient safety on our floor. The effectiveness of this tool will be measured by verbal and written feedback. )