MODULE TITLE: MANAGING AND LEADING STRATEGIC CHANGE
Managing and Leading Strategic Change – Individual Assignment
Learning outcomes and pass attainment level expectations:
Module Learning Outcomes
1. Critically analyse and evaluate the nature of the relationships between an organisations’ environment and the management of internal systems, processes and activities.
2. Critically evaluate key issues arising from the management of change.
3. Critically appraise management and leadership responses in relation to change.
4. Structure and communicate ideas and arguments effectively in writing, and reference source materials consistently and accurately using the Harvard referencing system.
You will be assessed according to the following criteria:
a) Evidence of an effective introduction to the Review (i.e. focus, scope and purpose)
b) Evidence of research to identify significant trends influencing the nature of organisation change and potential responses to change
c) Ability to apply academic literature and theoretical perspectives to identify and justify key components of a leading and managing strategic change competence framework
d) Clear presentation of a framework identifying key competences and the criteria by which these will be evaluated
e) An effective closing section to critically evaluate your readiness to act as a leader/manager of organisation change
f) Effective communication, presentation and use of structure
The following are indicative of the threshold pass requirements for the assignment.
• The paper introduces the focus, scope and purpose in line with the assignment
• Evidence of research to identify and introduce relevant trends influencing the nature of change in relation to the chosen focus
• Some use of theory to identify and justify relevant components of a competency framework related to leading and managing change
• Creation and presentation of a leading and managing strategic change competency framework
• Demonstrates some understanding of;
o issues arising from the management/leadership of change, and the potential responses
• Evidence of self-evaluation using the framework developed within the Review
• Use of effective communication, layout and structure
The stronger assignments will clearly build on these threshold requirements to demonstrate increasing levels of originality, depth of research, criticality in terms of analysis, evaluation and depth of argument, and clarity of writing and structure. Discussion relating to the levels of assessment will be an integral part of class sessions and seminars.
MANAGING AND LEADING STRATEGIC CHANGE
The assignment introduction
“…the competencies that helped the current leaders succeed may not be appropriate for the next generation of leaders. Next generation leaders require different skills, behaviours, and insights for the challenges ahead…”
One of the most significant of these challenges will be the necessity to understand change and its underpinning, emergent dynamics in order to lead and manage successful and sustainable organisational change. Many organisations such as CMI, CBI, CIPD conduct and commission research across a range of sectors to help inform organisational readiness to respond effectively to the opportunities and threats arising from change.
This assignment requires you to contribute to this body of knowledge by producing a 3000 Change Readiness Review document which sets out your critical analysis of the key skills and competencies required in relation to leading and managing organisation change.
The Briefing document has four key sections:
1. A section which identifies and justifies the focus of the review – (i.e. sector specific? industry specific? Generic/broad across sectors?). Using a ‘Future Back’ approach, to look forward 5 years, identify the significant trends influencing the nature of the ‘change landscape’ and potential responses to change (approx. 20%)
2. Drawing from the previous analysis use appropriate literature to identify and justify the key components of a leading and managing strategic change competency framework (approx. 30%)
3. Create the framework identifying the key competencies/competences and the criteria by which these will be evaluated (approx. 20%)
4. Use the competency framework to critically evaluate your own readiness to act as a leader/manager of organisation change (approx. 30%)
Your choice of focus can be informed by your current career planning and/or your interest in a specific sector i.e. public sector organisations, SMEs, not-for-profit, family owned businesses, large corporates etc. You may alternatively set up your focus to enable research and a competency framework that applies more broadly across a range of sectors.
Your focus can also be triggered by ideas emerging from;
• Your observations and/or experience of change within organisations
• Your reading and research into current examples of organisation change discussed in the press, on the TV etc.
• Discussions with family, friends, work colleagues, managers etc. that may surface their experience and stories of change
Developing the Critical Review
Your review should have an introduction which clearly sets out your focus.
The stronger reviews will identify and demonstrate an understanding of theoretical perspectives drawn from a range of academic literature, and the literature you introduce into your review will depend on your nature of your focus. You should consider researching from the following indicative resources:
• Module reading list within the Module specification
• Electronic resources available through Kenrick Library e.g. Summon, ABI, Emerald
• Google Scholar
• There is a wealth of information available via the internet-however, in the spirit of the module you should consider how do you use this material in a more critical manner.
MODULE TITLE: MANAGING AND LEADING STRATEGIC CHANGE