Compose a two-part analysis (750-1,000 words total for parts 1 and 2 combined).
Students will complete Part 1 by the end of Topic 1 and Part 2 by the end of Topic 2. Please note that the two-part analysis deadline is at the end of Topic 2, when you have completed Parts 1 and 2.
Address the following in Topic 1:
- View “One Smooth Stone.”
- Students can gain additional insight on the company by viewing the company’s promo video and website at the following links:
- One Smooth Stone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itVZIRZROSY
- One Smooth Stone: Giving Back: http://www.onesmoothstone.com/giving_back.html
- Address the following questions:
- How do Mark Ledogar and Gary Vik exemplify the definition of management?
- Which of Mintzberg’s managerial roles do Ledogar and Vik display in the video?
- Which of Katz’s management skills are evident in this video?
- In what way is One Smooth Stone an open system? Explain your answer.
Based on the videos and your responses to the questions in Part 1, describe in an essay how One Smooth Stone demonstrates/applies any three historical management theories.
For each of the three management theories selected, be sure to address each of the following management approaches: classical, behavioral, and modern management. (Modern management approaches include the quantitative, systems, contingency, quality-management, or learning organization viewpoints).
Reflecting on your organization and address the following:
- How does management in your organization compare to management at One Smooth Stone?
- What two management theories are currently being applied in your organization? Do you believe they are the most effective choices? Why or why not?
Cite two academic references in your analysis. Academic references include the textbook, the additional readings in the course, or any article from the GCU Library. You may use information found online but online encyclopedias (e.g., Wikipedia) and blogs do not count as academic references.