Course: IT530 Unit: 5 Points: 90
Unit 5 Assignment
Outcomes addressed in this activity:
• Explain video and audio compression and their significance to overall multimedia performance.
• Evaluate standard video streaming techniques and their application to a business’ teleconferencing ability.
• Recommend a comprehensive internet telephony solution.
• Plan and describe methods to transmit multimedia data including compression techniques and streaming protocols.
• Assess LAN multimedia protocols and examine their significance in business environments.
IT530-5:Analyze issues surrounding the connectivity and administration of networks.
- In recent years, SIP (session initiation protocol) enabled telephony networks have introduced a number of radical innovations in that way that people use telephony in general, including allowing people to take business-related calls seamlessly, even when they are not physically “at the office”. Research the elements that comprise SIP. In what ways does SIP differ from PBX or VoIP? Put yourself into the position of a system administrator considering updating your business’s telephony system. What elements of the technology would you compare or assign the greatest value? Would you even consider using a SIP or VoIP telephony solution? Why or why not? If you have “real world” experience with SIP and/or VoIP, please include a brief overview of that experience. If you do not have personal experience of the technology, include an overview of a case study of SIP or VoIP.
- Based on your research, write an 6–8 page paper that researches the concept of internet telephony, as well as providing an analysis and comparison of several telephony technologies currently available.
Preparing your Assignment
The written essay/paragraph formatted paper should be 6–8 pages long NOT including cover page and references. As you research internet telephony, ALL of the pages must have citations and references. No more than one direct quotation (of 40 words or more) is allowed per page and bullet lists without substantial narrative included are strongly discouraged. There should be no spelling or grammar errors. All written assignments should be in APA format. APA formatted in-text citations and references are required for all sources, and all figures and tables must be captioned in APA format. If you are unfamiliar with APA formatting, please see the Kaplan Writing Center for more information on how to work with APA.
Copyright Kaplan University
Assignment Grading Rubric
Course: IT530 Unit: 5 Points: 90
Directions for Submitting Your Assignment:
Compose your Assignment in a Microsoft Word document and save it as Username-IT530 Assignment-Unit#.doc (Example: TAllen – IT530 Assignment-Unit5.doc). Submit your file by selecting the Unit 5: Assignment Dropbox by the end of Unit 5.
All papers must meet these standard requirements:
Paper follows APA formatting
Length is 6–8 pages long not including references and cover page No more than three bulleted or listed points per paper.
No more than one direct quote per page from a reference source and those quotes must be properly cited within the body and in the references at the end of the paper
Title page Reference page
Answers contain sufficient information to adequately answer the questions and contain no spelling, grammar, or APA errors. Points deducted from grade for each writing, spelling, or grammar error are at your instructor’s discretion.
For more information and examples of APA formatting, see the resources in Doc sharing or visit the KU Writing Center from the KU Homepage.
Also review the KU Policy on Plagiarism. This policy will be strictly enforced on all applicable assignments and discussion posts. If you have any questions, please contact your professor.
Review the grading rubric below before beginning this activity.