Introduction to philosophy
Text Book: The Moral of The Story, by Nina Rosenstand, 7th Edition.
Short Essay. Answer all of the following questions. Each question is worth 10 points. Short essay responses should be 1-2 paragraphs per question.
1. Discuss the major ideas of Psychological Egoism and Ethical Egoism. How are they alike and how are they different? Analyze the objections to Ethical Egoism.
2. Examine the main ideas of Utilitarianism. What was Bentham’s theory? What was Mill’s? How were the two theories different? Analyze the objections to utilitarianism.
3. Analyze Kant’s Categorical Imperative. Discuss the major ideas included in the theory and list objections to the theory.
4. Discuss the pros and cons of genetic engineering and cloning. What is your opinion on the ethics of cloning and genetic engineering?
5. Analyze the five common approaches to punishment. Which one(s) do you agree with? Why?