6003ENG – Integrated Design Project
Expectations for the Structural Deliverable Part 2 (Frame Design) (20%)
You are required to submit one hard copy only.
Assignments are to be completed as group assignments with 3 students per group.
Assignments are to be submitted on Tuesday 21st April at the Griffith Library.
If you make assumptions in the assignment, list assumptions and a concise reasoning for your choice.
You are required to undertake a preliminary design of the building frame of the design project. The submission consists of two main tasks:
Task 1 (Estimating the Loads): (45 Marks)
1. Calculation of External Forces (10 Marks):
a. Wind Loads: Using Region B, TC-2.0 and Z=H, importance level 2 (Cdyn, Ms, Mt=1.0). You are required to calculate the wind pressures on all surfaces of the building for when the wind is blowing from the North direction and West direction. (internal pressure can be neglected for this assignment)
b. Live Loads: You are required to establish an appropriate live load for the building and provide a brief discussion and reasoning for your choice.
c. Dead Loads and Self Weight: You are required to establish an appropriate dead load self-weight and any additional loads for the building and provide a brief discussion and reasoning for your choice.
2. Load take down (12 Marks) You are required to draw and calculate the tributary areas to establish the load at ground level for all walls, columns and the Lift core. Lift core walls are to be considered as separate walls for load take down purposes for gravity loads. You are to provide a summary table of your results for tributary loading area, un-factored G & Q for each element.
3. Load combinations (5 Marks): You are required to list the load combinations that would be applicable for the ultimate and service design of the building for walls and columns.
4. Load accumulation and force diagrams (4 Marks): You are required to provide load accumulation and force diagrams for C6 and for (i) the dead load, (ii) the live load.
5. Load accumulation and force diagrams (6 Marks): You are required to provide load accumulation and force diagrams for W1 and for (i) the dead load, (ii) the live load, (iii) North Wind
6. Load distribution (8 Marks): You are required to calculate and discuss/demonstrate how the lateral wind forces (North only) are apportioned between structural elements. Calculate the % of load for each element with/without columns contributing to the lateral support. Tabulate the summary of your results (note the core wall is acting as one complete box for resisting lateral loads)
Task 2 (Preliminary Design): (50 Marks)
We note that wind tunnel testing found the ultimate base wind load (before cfig) to be 2kPa and serviceability wind load to be .75kPa which is to be used for Task 2 of this assignment(from this point forward).
1. Build Stability/Overturning (8 Marks): Establish (through calculation) if the structure alone (i.e. using solely its self-weight) is able to resist the external forces imparted on it. If not, discuss alternative solutions. Assess for north & West wind directions.
2. Preliminary Column designs for Column C6 (7 Marks): You are required to define the maximum design load for column C6 and perform a preliminary design (through calculations) of the column under this maximum design load by defining an appropriate concrete strength, reinforcing layout and cover. You are also required to provide a sketch of your design.
3. Alternative column design(5 Marks) – If a column was found to have 12,000kN Ultimate Axial load. What would be your recommended column design for size, concrete strength and reinforcing layout. Concrete strength for this column to be maximum 50MPa.
4. Torsion resistance (15 Marks) – For wind from the west direction calculate the torsional design from taking the sum of the moments at the centre axis of the lift core. Determine the lateral load attributed to each wall required to resist torsion. Columns to be ignored for torsional resistance (Hint: Calculate the % of load for each element at one floor, then the amount of load at the base from the total wind pressure for the height of the building).
5. Lift core design (15 Marks): You are required to define the maximum design loads for the lift core and perform preliminary design (through calculations) of the lift core to resist these maximum design loads by defining an appropriate concrete strength, reinforcing layout and cover. Your design needs to comply with AS reinforcing requirements. You are also required to provide a sketch of your design. (Note the lift core is to consider combinations of Torsion, Bending and gravity loads). Columns to be ignored for lateral wind resistance in this part of the assignment.
Presentation (5%): You are required to submit your assignment with a table of contents. You are required to present your assignment professionally and order your augmentation in a logical manner so it can be understood by a third party. You are required to have your thoughts and assumptions clearly articulated, so the document is worthy of being presented to a client.
The frame design will be assessed based on the following criteria:
Professional appearance (i.e. the information can be easily understood by a third party) of the calculations and sketches. Please note that near hand calculations and hand sketches are sufficient for this requirement. For the calculations, you only need to explain once what you are doing. The remainder of design can be a tabulation of critical design components.
Assignments are to be presented in the order of assignment questions only with no rearrangement of order.