Selection of a product:
1) Pick a product for your study and give a brief description (include a picture/drawing) of the product you are investigating. Something like a flashlight is always good.
2) Take the product apart and identify which parts can be recyclable? Make a chart
3) Estimate the percent recyclability by weight
a. A worst case (pessimistic) scenario
b. A best case (optimistic) scenario
Be as realistic as possible.
4) Discuss/evaluate the results from your assessment. Are the results what you expected (and why or
5) Product: Identify critical areas and (re)design options that improve the overall material recyclability of your product from a technical as well as financial perspective.
6) What have you learned?
The objective of this assignment is to have you go through a “real-life” recyclability assessment and
improvement. I will grade you based on depth of discussion and technical merits/quality of results.