Paper, Order, or Assignment Requirements
Please Note: this is not in assay, NO FILES WILL BE UPLOADED
The Humanistic Tradition, Book 6: Modernism, Postmodernism and the Global Perspective, Sixth Edition, by Gloria K. Fiero
Answer this question.
this is due on 05/24 by 11: midnight
1. Give the name of the artistic movement that corresponds to this definition: “Psychic automatism, in its
pure state…exempt from any aesthetic or moral concern.” What did Andre Breton mean by this statement? Explain the definition in your own words and cite a specific example and artist as support
for your answer.
2. Explain the connection between the Imagists and the Japanese poetic form of haiku. Write and Include your
own haiku poem.
3. Do you agree/disagree that creative expression at the beginning of the Twentieth Century represents the “dehumanization of art?” Provide and discuss TWO specific examples of art to support your answer.
4. What specific literary technique links the works of James Joyce to the theories of Freud? In your own
words, how would you explain the technique to someone who had never heard of it?
5. Unlike Newtonian physics, early 20th century physics persuaded many early 20th Century scientists that the
operation of the universe could not be predicted with any certainty. True or False? Explain your
6. Why did Picasso’s celebrated Les Demoiselles D’Avignon shock observers in 1907? Explain.
7. What Mexican artist mixed her personal tragedies with surrealist imagery in her paintings? What were
the tragedies of her life? What was her favorite subject? Kahlo didn’t consider herself a Surrealist – why not?
8. In the context of art, define the word “abstract” and “non-objective” in your own words. Evaluate TWO artists
and then explain why they fit the definitions of these words. Do you find this an acceptable form of
9. Explain of the principal influences and features of the architecture created by Frank Lloyd Wright and Le
Corbusier? Be sure to give a complete response for each person and use specific examples in your
answer. Which do you prefer?
10. Freud held that religion was a “universal obsessional neurosis of humanity.” What did he mean by this
and how is it related to the theme of his writing Civilization and its Discontents?
11. Use the words relativity and uncertainty in a paragraph (or two) that describes the revolution in modern
physics that took place in the early 20th century.