BUS 1303 Marketing
Due Date: Week 14
Length of Presentation: 15 minutes
Individual project on marketing opportunities for a brand of consumer products. You will be assigned a brand of consumer products. Each student will be assigned a different brand. Research the brand, the organization that markets the brand, the marketing environment, the market and the market segments in the UAE. Then infer the marketing opportunities (including targeted segments) available for the brand from the market information. This is an external work which must follow APA Formatting guidelines. 20% of the assessment will go for knowledge and 10% will go for formatting. This project will cover CLOs 1, 3, and 4
Current Market Situation
- Brand: (1) where it originates from, (2) when it was introduced in the UAE, (3) existing product lines/items in the UAE
- Organization that markets the brand: (1) business activities, (2) date of establishment in the UAE, (3) structure and size, (4) strengths and weaknesses
- Market environment: (1) micro-environmental and macro-environmental factors that have the biggest impact on the brand’s existing product lines/items in the UAE, (2) major changes and trends that impact marketing decisions of the brand’s existing product lines/items in the UAE
- Market for the brand’s product lines/items in the UAE: (1) define the market, (2) current size of the market, (3) future size of the market (4) who are customers buying them from, (5) customers’ current needs and wants, (6) potential changes to customers’ needs and wants
- Market segments: (1) define the existing market segments, (2) segments in which the brand’s existing product lines/items are offered, (3) potential changes to existing segments, (4) potential new segments
- From the market information, infer the marketing opportunities for the brand in each of the existing and potential new market segments using the product/market expansion grid
- Decide whether to target existing market segments or potential new market segments by offering existing product lines/items or new product lines/items. Explain with reference to the market research.
Guidelines for market research
- To research about the brand, the organization that markets the brand, the marketing environment, the market and the market segments in the UAE from information that is publicly available.
- Use credible sources of information and, where possible, use the databases available on the HCT library website.
- To research about the market and the market segments in the UAE from information that is not publicly available.
- Prepare a survey questionnaire to determine: (1) customers’ current needs and wants, (2) potential changes to customers’ needs and wants, (3) existing market segments, (4) potential changes to existing segments, (5) potential new segments, (6) customer psychographics, (7) customers’ buying behavior
- Conduct the survey on a representative sample of appropriate size.
BUS 1303 Marketing
Coursework: Oral Presentation (20%)
Feedback Key: A=4, B=3, C=2, D=1, F=0
|Specific criteria (for Group)||A||B||C||D||F|
|Demonstrates an understanding of the task and competently discusses all the key elements|
|Presents reasoned arguments that are substantiated by facts and evidence and the application of relevant marketing concepts and frameworks|
|Uses appropriate professional and/or research literature and resources to support the presentation|
|Organizes the presentation, briefing sheet and market research survey questionnaire in a clear, coherent and timely (for presentation) manner; in an integrated and logical sequence; and in a professional format|
|Uses multimedia appropriately for an effective oral presentation|
|Delivers the briefing sheet and market research survey questionnaire according to appropriate linguistic conventions in written language|
|Specific criteria (for Individual)||A||B||C||D||F|
|Delivers the oral presentation according to appropriate linguistic conventions in oral language including paralinguistic conventions such as appropriate volume, eye contact and body language; and engages the audience|
|Answers both questions competently with substantiated explanation|
Assessor ___________________ Date ______________
Grade A: Excellent
Overall, a very impressive and excellent piece of work. Includes the majority of the following features:
· Demonstrates an understanding of the task which may be beyond what is expected, but which is always relevant.
- Original perspective on the problems in question. Contextualization of sources and viewpoints and comprehensive evaluation of contributions. Insightful application of relevant theories in addressing the issues/questions.
- Use of wide range of relevant sources, which are integrated and critically evaluated.
- Well structured and organized with a clearly developed line of reasoning. Appropriate length.
- Referencing follows consistent academic conventions with all references fully and accurately cited.
- Clear, articulate style with accurate spelling, word choice and grammar. Target band level surpassed by 1.0
Grade B: Good
Overall, a good and commendable piece of work. Includes the majority of the following features:
· Demonstrates sound understanding of the task. Presentation of points and arguments generally relevant to the question.
- Sustained commentary on evidence and materials used. Inclusion of appropriate critical perspective. Use of theoretical models in a relevant way to address the issues/questions.
- Sound understanding of main sources of literature, well summarized and used in a critical and relevant way.
- Clear structure and presentation. Control of length.
- Generally consistent and accurate referencing.
- Generally accurate spelling, word choice and grammar. Target band level surpassed by 0.5.
Grade C: Satisfactory
Overall, a satisfactory piece of work. Includes the majority of the following features:
- Understands main point of the task. Most points and arguments presented are relevant to the question.
- Adequate commentary on evidence and materials used. Some evidence of critical awareness. Use and understanding of theoretical models, but in a fairly pedestrian way.
- Adequate range of source material consulted. Clear understanding of the literature used.
- Good structure and presentation, minor problems in organization do not impede communication. Control of length
- Generally consistent referencing.
- Comprehensible spelling, word choice and grammar, inaccuracies do not impede meaning. Target band level achieved.
Grade D: Marginal Pass
Overall, a bare pass. Includes the majority of the following features:
· Understanding of basic concepts and effort made to relate them to the question.
- Argument mainly descriptive points and/or points which requires greater substantiation. More development of ideas needed to sustain an argument. Identification of main issues, but little critical awareness.
- Some evidence of reading and understanding of the literature, but range and /or relevance very limited.
- Attempt made at coherent presentation, but ideas not well integrated. Length may be considerably off target.
- Some attempt at consistent referencing.
- Comprehensible spelling, word choice and grammar, although inaccuracies may sometimes impede meaning. Below the target band level.
Grade F: Failure
Overall, a very poor piece of work. Includes the majority of the following features:
- Inadequate or misunderstanding of task. Purely descriptive account with little or no analysis.
- Irrelevant comments and/or assertions, which are not supported by meaningful evidence. Little evidence of integration of various sources to sustain an argument. Lack of any critical or appreciative framework.
- Few relevant sources used and/or little use of literature.
- Unstructured presentation and/or lack of coherence, which impedes understanding. Length problematic.
- Little or no attempt at consistent referencing.
- Major inaccuracies in grammar, word choice and spelling. Well below the prescribed proficiency IELTS.
This assignment is entirely my own work except where I have duly acknowledged other sources in the text and listed those sources at the end of the assignment; I have not previously submitted this work to the HCT; I understand that I may be orally examined on my submission.
Remarks: If you wish to have a formal acknowledgment of assignment receipt, please complete the following slip.
|Topic of Assignment|
|Student ID No.|
Received on: ___________________________________