To prepare for this Discussion:
• Review the following articles: “The Legislative Process,” “Legislative Process: How a Senate Bill Becomes Law,” and “Ben’s Guide to U.S. Government.” Reflect on how laws are passed.
• Review the interactive media “Public Health Policy Process.”
• Research your federal and state legislative processes. For those of you who reside outside the United States, focus on your local and territorial legislative process.
• Select a law addressing a public health issue that was passed in your state. For those of you who reside outside the United States, select a law passed at the local or territorial level. Think about the process of how your selected law was passed.
• Consider the potential impact of your selected law on future national laws.
• Identify your federal and state representatives. For those of you who reside outside the U.S., identify your local and territorial officials.
With these thoughts in mind:
Post a description of the law you selected, and explain in detail the process of how it became a law within your state or territory. Then, describe the potential impact of your selected law on future national laws. Make sure to identify your federal, state, and/or territorial representatives/officials.
Be sure to support your postings and responses with specific references to the