Paper, Order, or Assignment Requirements
The purposes of these assignments are to: (1) increase your ability to research current events in fraud, (2) to increase your understanding of a particular area of fraud; and (3) to be able to critically evaluate articles regarding fraud.
The paper should be double spaced and a minimum of 250 words in length. In addition, your paper should not be over 2 pages long.
1. Select and read a current events article. “Current” means within the last 12 month.
2. Write a 1-paragraph summary of the article. A summary should state, in your own words, the main idea of the article and key facts. A summary is not re-typing part of the article. Remember, use proper APA format.
3. Write 2 – 4 paragraphs about the relevance to the industry of fraud. This is where you analyze the article. Consider the following:
o An identification of the key issues posed by the article or case
o A list of applicable stakeholders and their rights and obligations
o What choices were/are available and what were/are the costs or trade-offs
o Comment on how the situation was or should be resolved
o Who (individual or group) was/will be impacted by this decision?
o Questions you believe readers should consider about the case that will add substance to learning
4. Write a paragraph to express your opinion about the issue. Be sure to back up your opinion. Remember, this is your opinion about the issue, not about how the article is written.
5. Make sure to include the address of the website, where you found the article. If a password is needed for the site, excluding UMUC’s library, you are expected to supply it.
6. If you want to you may use two articles on the same subject (not required); however I will marke down grades if you use over two articles (remember, I have to read all of them).
Paper must be on a topic covered in the first 3 weeks class lectures.
a. Asset Misappropriations
c. Cash Larceny
d. Check Tampering
e. Register Disbursement Schemes