Paper, Order, or Assignment Requirements
Question 1 – your answer to this question should be approximately 4,500words excluding appendices
You are required to examine in detail the latest available Annual Report and Accounts of your selected Company / Group of Companies to provide an “in depth analysis” of the business and its financial performance.
The assessment examines three specific factors:
- Interpretation and
Specific attention should be addressed to:
- The Directors Report
- The Statement of Accounting Policies
iii. The Financial Reports:
- The Balance Sheet
- The Profit and Loss Account (or Income Statement)
- The Cash Flow Statement
- The Supporting Schedules and Notes to the Accounts.
Your submission should include:
- a detailed review of the 12 months trading covered by the Report.
- an examination of the trend analysis covered by the “last 5 years key statistics”.
It is expected that your submission will relate the Directors Report to the key financial ratios and will include brief discussion of the “Accounting Policies”, and their suitability for the Business being analysed.
- It is expected that you will also research published records referring to the relevant company –
Analysis / Brokers Reports
Press Commentary on Results
- An internet link to the Annual Accounts you used MUST be included in the submission – please do not submit the accounts themselves!
- A content page and page numbering
- Indicating the question number
- Properly structure the discussion into sections and provide subtitles for each section.
- Assignment must be properly referenced at ALL times and written in your own words
- Text should be easily readable , suggest font size no less than 12pt and 1.5 line spacing.
You may find it helpful to access one of the many Databases that are available. Here you will find lots of ratios already calculated for you!
Two that are easily accessible from the library are:
1 FAME (Financial Accounts Made Easy.)
- Go to the University Home Page
- Quick scroll down to main library home page
- Electronic resources
- Scoll down to Subject specific – A-Z – letter F.
- There you will find FAME.
- From the FAME home page: you have a choice of new search / easy search
- Type in the name of the company you are looking for (e.g. Tesco)
- Up will come a list of ALL the companies with the name ‘Tesco’.
- Be sure to select the correct company. (They are sorted in descending order so you are likely to need one of the first companies.)
- Detailed search – This will give you a detailed listing of ratios for the company you have selected.
- To do another search you need to go to ‘delete search’ !
To access Datastream you will need to book a slot in the Corporate Information Library.(CIL) This is not difficult, you can ring up – it is usually free, but at certain times of year it can be busy.
- The terminal you will need is on the left as you go into the CIL and there are simple instructions available.
- This is the order of ‘play’
- Start / programme / Dswindiws2.20
- The programmes which are most useful are
- You will need to find out the code for the company which is included in the software.
- It is also possible to compare your company with the rest of the companies in the same sector.
3 You are expected to include any ratios which you have obtained from such sources as appendices to your post module work. This PMW is not about being able to calculate the ratios, but about what they tell you about the company under scrutiny.