1. Find an argument contained in an article in the media about a religious issue.
2. On one type written page identify: a. a summarization of the point of the article/argument in your own words. b. the three parts of the argument (issue, conclusion, and reasons), and; c. the purpose of the argument (persuasion,explanation,discovery analysis, and recording inferences.)
3. Include hard copy of the article, which should be placed
after your typewritten explanation of the above.
1. find one recent editorial or opinion piece in a newspaper, magazine, or blog about a religious issue.
2. Summarize in your own words the argument being made
3. Identify the three elements of the argument
4. Identify the value assumption(s)
5. Identify the reality assumption(s)
6. Include a hard copy of the article, which should be placed after your typewritten explanation of the above.
1. Select three reasoning fallacies and define them carefully in your own words.
2. Find examples of EACH of the three fallacies you selected in an article or Internet site about religion, which contains an argument. (You may use one item that contains three different examples or three different items of one each; the point is to make sure you identity three specific examples of fallacies or reasoning errors.)
3. Explain which reasoning fallacy each is and why you believe these to be such examples.
4. Include hard copy of the article, which should be placed after your typewritten explanation of the above.
1. Find an example of an argument about a religious issue from the media that uses statistical or causal generalization.
2. Identify and explain why you think this article contains an example of one of the above items.
3. Identify the components of the argument and how the example from above is used as evidence.
4. Include a hard copy of the article(S), which should be placed after your typewritten explanation of the above.
1. Write a three page double-spaced (12 pt type) essay that explains in detail what you believe to be the importance of critical thinking. What are its uses? How can it help you be more effective and successful in school, at work, and in everyday life?
use these 2 articles for the sections and find others.
-Article 1: Religion in College: How Has Your Faith Changed?
Author: Jahnabi Barooah
-Article 2: Islam, Muslims, and the 2012 Elections
Author: Imam Abdullah Antepli