[meteor_slideshow slideshow=”adssa” metadata=”height: 126, width: 630″]
Ethos, Pathos, Logos Paper Analysis Requirements
(the speech I want to use https://www.edchange.org/multicultural/speeches/malcolm_x_ballot.html )
In this essay you are required to select a speech that is addressing a civil rights issue in some capacity. You may select any speech from any historical period as long as it connects to an issue of civil rights. For the essay you need to accomplish the following:
1. Provide a background about the rhetorical exigence of the speech. Where was it given and why?
2. Discuss the ethos or credibility of the person delivering the discourse. How did her or his contemporaries see the person and her or his work? Make sure you provide a brief explanation of what ethos is and define some of its traits and characteristics. Then apply what you learned to the speaker you selected. Keep in mind you are allowed to discuss negative credibility items as well. If you notice items within the speech that contribute to the speaker’s credibility profile, you may write about this as well.
3. Discuss how the speaker uses pathos within the speech. What parts are designed to elicit an emotional response from the audience, and how did they accomplish this? Please make sure you define and explain what pathos is and describe some of the ways the speaker created emotion in the speech. What emotions did the speaker try to access in the minds of her or his audience?
4. Discuss how the speaker uses logos in the presentation (evidence and reasoning). Please make sure you define and explain what logos is and the importance of it in a speech. Then identify one or two strategies you feel fall the most significant in the speech.
5. Please make sure you provide a copy of the speech as part of your paper or a link to indicate where you found this.
6. For this assignment, you will need five different sources minimum. The actual speech or text does not count as a source. Use these sources to define and explain the concepts of ethos, pathos, or logos. You may also use these to augment your section on the speech and speaker’s background.
7. This assignment is 4 – 5 pages long. It should be double spaced and typed using Times New Roman font. The Works Cited page does not count as part of the page count.
[meteor_slideshow slideshow=”best” metadata=”height: 126, width: 630″]