Paper, Order, or Assignment Requirements
THE ESSAY IS:
1500 word illustrated report developing the comparison begun in your group assignment. Your report should compare the environmental strategies of the two chosen buildings. The report should develop a coherent discussion about this topic using both illustrations and words.
THE GROUP ASSIGNMENT WAS:
To give a comparison of two buildings from the list provided with this brief. The comparison should consider the environmental design strategy employed in the two buildings.
THE BUILDINGS WERE:
1.a Trinity College Library, Cambridge (Christopher Wren)
1.b The Hive, Worcester (Fielden Clegg Bradley)
THE ASSESSMENT CRITERIA IS:
Your individual report will be assessed on the basis of the following assessment criteria:
• The quality and range of research undertaken, demonstrated through the description and analysis (both written and graphic) of the case studies.
• The level of critical thinking around the impact of technology on the design of the case study; creative use of data, linkage of several issues, developed arguments and informed decisions.
• The quality of language used: spelling, grammar, sentence-formation, and paragraph usage.
• The accuracy of academic apparatus: report structure, references, bibliography, illustration
• Graphic design of report: clarity of layout; diagrams and illustrations; relation of text to
SOME BOOKS TO USE AS SOURCES AND REFERENCE ARE:
THOMAS, R; GARNHAM, T (2007) The environments of architecture: Environmental design in context. Taylor & Francis
BANHAM, R (1984) The Architecture of the Well-tempered Environment. Architectural Press HAWKES, D (1996) The Environmental Tradition E & FN Spon
HAWKES,D (2002) The Selective Environment. Spon Press
HAWKES,D (2008) The Environmental Imagination. Routledge
HAWKES, D (2012) Architecture and Climate Routledge
ALLEN, E (1995) How Buildings Work: The Natural Order of Architecture Oxford University Press SCOTT, JS; MACLEAN, JH (1993) Dictionary of Building Penguin