A. Is an HR department Necessary?
A. An HR Department is not Necessary for a company to function. Line managers can perform these duties
Main Arguments to wrtie about:
Collaboration framework can empower employee decision making creating citizenship in their workplace
Managers would focus more on employee behavior and know how to motivate and promote a nurturing environment resulting in higher performance output
Where my train go thought is going:
Line Managers have long been performing HR duties in companies, in fact when going to interviews who is the person performing the interview?
A line manager interviews X% people entering the workforce.
There is no doubt that HR duties require time to keep employee satisfaction
FOCUS ON HOW MANAGERS CAN DO THE DUTIES RATHER THAN SAYING HR DEPARTMENT DOESN’T DO THEIR JOB CORRECTLY.
ARTICLE TO READ AND GET INSPIRED:
By 11/26 Debate Outlines Due
11/13; 11/20; 12/4 ½ hour class time allocated to team preparation
By 12/17 Self-evaluation
TEAM DEBATE ASSIGNMENT DESCRIPTION:
The learning objective for the team debates is to practice skills you will need to excel in the workplace. First, you will learn and practice how to work as a member of a team. Second, you will practice your critical thinking skills, research skills, presentation skills and ability to address different perspective on controversial issues.
Your team will prepare to present and defend a position on a particular topic relevant to Human Resources.
PROJECT OUTLINE – due by end of day Wednesday, November 26th
Post outline on blackboard (a tab has been set up on the left hand side). Post one outline per team.
Your one page outline should be organized as follows:
- Team members
- Debate topic
- Position statement your team will be presenting and defending.
- Identify sources you will use to develop constructive arguments to persuade others that the position assigned to your team is correct.
- Preliminary ideas of 3 to 5 major points in support of the position you have been asked to argue. (Points raised in the debate need to be substantiated by factual evidence.)
Each of the three debates will involve the following:
- Each team has 10 minutes to present its position and supporting evidence. All team members should present.
- Plan ahead and coordinate to present a logical case and avoid duplication.
- There will be a 5 minute break to allow each team to organize their questions and counter arguments to challenge their opponents. The audience will also prepare questions, challenges, untapped arguments, etc. to raise during the open discussion.
- Anticipate arguments to be presented by the opponent team and develop questions for the opponents to reveal any weakness in their argument.
- Each team has 5 minutes to present counter arguments and ask questions.
- Each team has 5 minutes to respond.
- 15 minutes reserved for open discussion involving the entire class, a tally of votes, and announcement of winning team.
SELF-ASSESSMENT – Due by end of day December 17th
The debate assignment is 15% of the total grade for the class.
By December 17th, post a debate self-assessment on blackboard (a tab has been set up on the left hand side). The final grade will take into consideration your assessment as well as the professor’s assessment.
|Insert Letter Grade||For the following reasons:|
|Team preparedness in developing position|
|Verbal (e.g. clarity, voice level) and nonverbal communication (e.g. presence, eye contact)|
|Team effectiveness of presenting supporting evidence|
|Team effectiveness of responding to challenges from opponents and class|
|Individual participation in open discussion for the other two debates|
- Outstanding contributor
- Good Contributor
- Adequate Contributor