[meteor_slideshow slideshow=”adssa” metadata=”height: 126, width: 630″]
Choose a chronic disease that you frequently encounter in your nursing practice. Alternatively, pick a chronic disease that you would like to explore further. You can use any chronic disease of your choice
Step 2 Choose a culture different than your own. I am Caucasian
Select a culture that you often encounter in your practice or one that you would like to learn more about. For the purposes of this presentation, you may choose a culture based on religion; racial or ethnic group; cognitive, sensory, or physical disability; or sexual orientation or gender identity.
Step 3 Develop your presentation.
Address the following topics: Identify the chronic disease you chose to present, including a short summary of the disease and its complications.
• Identify and describe the culture you chose to present.
• Identify a self-care need for a patient with the chronic illness you chose. For example, a patient with diabetes will need to monitor blood glucose levels; a patient with hypertension will need to follow a low sodium diet.
• Identify two measureable, patient-centered goals for a patient with this self-care need. For example, “The patient will be able to give a return demonstration for obtaining a capillary blood glucose level.”
• Present a culturally sensitive self-management plan for each goal. For example, Appalachians may believe that their lives are controlled by fate (fatalism). Therefore, they may feel powerless in their care. The plan of care will need interventions that help empower the patient.
• Describe how you will evaluate whether the goals were met. Consider methods such as Teach Back in your evaluation of the goals.
• Provide a summary of your presentation.
• Provide a reference slide citing any sources used in the presentation in the format requested by your instructor. No sources older then 5 years. Please cite as well
Step 4 Add presenter’s notes.
Include talking points and details in the notes area for each slide. These notes should document what you would say to an audience about each slide if you were to present in person.
[meteor_slideshow slideshow=”best” metadata=”height: 126, width: 630″]