Bowen Family Systems Theory provides a detailed set of concepts that are commonly assessed through family interviews, often in conjunction with the creation of a genogram. For this assignment, write a case analysis of your own family of origin using a Bowen approach. Leave out or disguise information you do not wish to share. Use the following outline for your analysis:
1. Create a genogram of your family of origin, using the correct format.Â PleaseÂ use paper and pencil to draw your genogram. After you finish, scan the image and upload it as part of your submission for this assignment. Please be mindful that your drawing needs to be professional and clear so your instructor can read and understand your submission.
You are also welcome butÂ not requiredÂ to use one or more of these resources to assist in the creation of your genogram:
- Genogram Software (Genogram Analytics)Â //www.genogramanalytics.com/examples_genograms.html(this is Windows and Mac OS compatible)
- Genogram Software (Wingeno)Â //www.wingeno.org/download.htmlÂ (this is Windows and Mac OS compatible)
Depict at least three generations (more if you wish to) including you, your parents, and your grandparents (as well as aunts, uncles and cousins as applicable to complete the assignment). Include information on cultural factors such as race, ethnicity, religion, and social class and demographic information such as age, geographic location of residence, jobs held, etc. You will also include information about the quality of relationships (including divorces, extra-marital affairs, etc.), any mental health or addiction issues, any applicable medical concerns or any other information you wish to include.
2. Based on this genogram, begin your paper by giving a brief overview of the major experiences and patterns of interaction for your family. How do diversity issues affect the family dynamics?
3.Â Write a description of your family in terms of the major concepts of the Bowen approach. This is not a family history but rather a description that emphasizes an analysis of relationships from a Bowenian perspective. Briefly define each concept and then provide an illustration of each concept from your family of origin.
- Differentiation of Self
- Nuclear Family Emotional System
- Family Projection Process
- Multigenerational Transmission Process
- Emotional Cutoff
- Sibling Position
- Societal Emotional Process
4. Provide at least two specific examples that illustrate that the Bowen Family Therapy is a systems-based approach to treatment.
5. Identify and briefly discuss a problem in the family using Bowen theory. This â€œproblemâ€ should involve you directly, it should be real, meaningful, not too big, and something that you are willing to share. Develop a specific intervention plan for this problem based on the Bowenian approach. Make this a very practical, small intervention. You may or may not choose to try it. In Bowenian terms, describe how you think it would affect the dynamics of your family if you did implement this intervention. Include a treatment plan based on information from the Gehart (2014) text.
Length: 5-7 pages
Your paper should demonstrate thoughtful consideration of the ideas and concepts that are presented in the course and provide new thoughts and insights relating directly to this topic. Your response should reflect scholarly writing and current APA standards.
Upload your assignment and the genogram using the Upload Assignment button.