Reviewing Mixed Methods Studies
Your paper will include 5 sections: Introduction, Sampling Strategy, Design, Procedures, and Findings. Your paper should include your name and course title and should adhere to APA style. It should also be written in 12-font and double-spaced (about 2 pages).
Include the full reference of the article as the title of your paper.
From a recent (past 5 years) peer-reviewed journal, find an article that utilized a mixed methods design. Read the article and be able to provide a short summary of the study. Use the following APA Level 2 headings:
• Introduction – Tell the background/rationale (research problem) for the study. What were the research questions or hypotheses of the study?
• Sampling Strategy – Discuss if the strategy was a probability or non-probability approach and the type of sampling strategy used (2-3 sentences).
• Design – Briefly describe the mixed methods design that was utilized. Provide a definition of the design and a rationale as to why the design was the most appropriate (i.e., connect the design back to the research problem to be addressed).
• Procedures – Briefly describe the data collection procedures and include a visual diagram (using the notation system; see the chapter titled Examples of Mixed Methods Designs) of the procedures which guided the data collection. (3-5 sentences).
• Findings – Describe the findings of the study (3-5 sentences).
Your report will be graded using the following rating scale:
Good Fair Poor
1. Introduction 2 1 0
2. Sampling Strategies 2 1 0
3. Design 2 1 0
4. Procedures and Findings 2 1 0
5. APA style and format 2 1 0
Total Points Earned: ____ / 10 Points Possible