This paper is a summary of a book chapter. I will attach 6 files containing the chapter to be summarized.
The book is ‘Politics and Change in the Middle East’ by Anderson, Seibert and Wagner.
Chapter 5 should be summarized in 3 pages and the writer should show deep thought to its major themes that are the following:
Some major themes to expand on:
• Nationalism: Arab, Turkish, Iranian and Zionism.
• State formation in the middle East: division of the Arab world, independence of Turkey and Iran, and the creation of Israel.
• Arab Revolt, June 10, 1916-Mecca.
• The secret agreements: Sykes-Picot- 1915-1916.
• Colonialisms and Western dominance in the region
• Self-Determination: Woodrow Wilson’s 14 points.
• Contradictory-Agreements: colonial agreements (France, Britain, Russia), Arabs vs. Jews in Palestine, Hussein vs. Ibn Saud.
• Trauma of WWI: Axis-Central Powers (Austro-Hungarian, Germany, Ottoman Empire and Bulgaria). Allies- France, Britain, Russia, US, Japan and Italy.
• WWII and the Middle East theater: Britain, France, USSR vs. Germany, Italy and Japan- Impact of the war on the region.
• Middle East: state formation and independence movements in the post war (WWII) period.
• Israel: an outpost for imperialism in the Middle East