To assess your ability to apply critical thinking in decision making and to choose a country and industry for your use during this class.
In this assignment, you will explore the decision-making process you currently use and the impact that may have on future decisions that you will make. You will also select a COUNTRY and INDUSTRY to use for this course and some of its assignments.
1. Reflect on a decision you have made in the past that had important unexpected consequences. Were the consequences good, bad, or both? Do you think you should have or could have done anything differently in making the decision?
2. Write a 1-2 page business brief to your professor. Follow the Business Brief Guidelines. Use section headings appropriately. Your brief should include the following:
1. Description of the decision that you made.
2. Steps you used to make the decision.
3. Unexpected consequences that resulted from the decision.
4. Description on what you should have or could have done differently.
Standard Format for a Business Brief in the MBA Program
Students in the MBA program are expected to adhere to the following when completing a business brief.
1. 12-point serif font (Times New Roman or Courier).
2. Single-spaced within paragraphs; double-spaced between paragraphs.
3. Paragraphs are to be left justified.
4. 1-inch margins at the top, bottom, left, and right of every page.
5. No title page.
6. Place important points or details into lists. The paragraphs provide context for the lists.
7. Phrases not to use in a business brief, unless you have been asked/hired to specifically provide a recommendation:
In my opinion,…
8. Phrases to use or something similar in a business brief that are appropriate in any analytical discussion:
The data shows…
Research studies point out…
The analysis indicates…
9. Complete sentences, correct grammar, correct spelling, and accurate punctuation is expected.
10. Absence of typographical errors.
11. Citations within the body of the text follow APA format. Note: Citations are not always required. Read the instructions in the assignment.
12. Reference list (if necessary) starts on a new page and follows proper APA format.
13. Images, graphs, charts, or other types of visuals are considered to be figures in APA format and must adhere to proper APA formatting.
14. Follow the business brief layout below:
Header: approximately 1/8 of the business brief
Opening, Context and Task: approximately 1/4 of the business brief
Summary, Discussion Segment: approximately 1/2 of the business brief
Closing Segment, Necessary Attachments: approximately 1/8 of the business brief
Describes the decision the student made.
Describes the decision that he/she made and demonstrates solid ability to accomplish the assignment.
Identifies steps used to make the decision.
Identifies steps he/she used to make the decision and demonstrates solid ability to accomplish the assignment.
Discusses unexpected consequences that resulted from the decision.
Discusses unexpected consequences that resulted from the decision and demonstrates solid ability to accomplish the assignment.
Describes what the student should have or could have done differently.
Describes what he/she should have or could have done differently and demonstrates solid ability to accomplish the assignment.
Integrates established business environment principles into the discussion.
Consistently does a good job of integrating established business environment principles into the discussion.
Synthesizes relevant information and materials to provide evidence of critical thought.
Consistently and effectively synthesizes information, which provides strong support to main ideas.
Develops ideas with clarity and logic.
Develops ideas with clarity and logic. Ideas flow smoothly from one to another and are clearly linked to each other.