essay, english, undergrad, 2pgs 550wrds, and here is the instructions. This essay explores the narrative mode, which is perhaps the most natural style of writing for most people. The narrative form has much in common with fiction or creative writing, in that it relies on descriptive language, dialogue, and dramatic action to present its story.
Much like it is in fiction writing, the goal of the narrative form is to allow readers to feel as if they are not simply reading someone else’s story, but that they are somehow part of it.
Unlike telling a story, the narrative form has a specific piece of information to share and uses the elements we discussed in the Expository Writing chapter to deliver that message.
In this essay, you will be asked to write about a specific event in your life that will engage readers, and that will, at the same time, help them to understand the importance of the message you are relating, or, argument you are making.
Search in EBSCO for the following article:
Bender, S. (2006). The art of the personal essay: How to turn a nagging question or troubling experience into entertaining and insightful writing. Writer, 110(5), 31-33.
Your essay should contain the following basic features:
- A well-defined message or argument that uses the Narrative mode to demonstrate its meaning
- A clear and specific, singular event
- Vivid language that works to recreate the event, including descriptions of where the event took place, the people who were involved, and the things these people said and did
- A stated or implied reason why this event is still personally significant and why it also holds value for others
In addition to the above, the final draft of your essay should be:
- From 500 to 750 words in length, typed in Times New Roman 12pt. font, double-spaced, with one-inch margins.
- Include citations as needed and write in first person
- Edited for spelling, mechanical, grammatical, and typing errors
Please note: Writing takes time. Plan ahead to give yourself time to write multiple drafts of this essay. Get some feedback from the people you know or from the Writing Center to help you to craft the best essay you can in the time allotted.